Noreen is a western Arrarnta woman from the Hermannsburg Community. Noreen’s grandmother was Albert Namatjira’s sister. Her father was artist Gerhardt Inkamala and her brother was Linberg Inkamama. Her father used to paint the sunrise, sunset, Kangaroos, and emus. Her family used to paint with Albert Namatjira. During School Holidays Noreen and her family would travel to the little town of Alice Springs and play with their cousins Lenie Namatjira, Gloria Pannka and other Namatjira family members. The children used to watch the adults paint. Noreen also remembers white people coming to see Albert Namatjira and buying paintings off him.
Noreen’s description of the artists in her family: Our Uncle is Adolf Inkamala, he was a watercolour artist. Vanessa Inkamala’s (artist at Many Hands) father was Edmund Inkamala. Our young uncle was Russell Inkamala, Sophia Inkamala’s (artist at Many Hands) father was Clifford Inkamala. They all were watercolour artists from the same mom & dad. They all learnt how to paint from their uncle Albert.
Noreen is a senior potter and has enjoyed a prosperous career with the Hermannsburg Potters. Her artworks belong to many prominent collections e.g. the NGV collection in Victoria. Noreen is an emerging watercolour artist and is improving her landscape painting skills as she paints alongside the Namatjira family at Many Hands art centre. Her sisters Clara Inkamala and Kathleen France also paint at the art centre sharing stories and ideas with her.
- 2016 UNALIENABLE, Sullivan + Strumpf Gallery, Sydney, NSW
- 2016 Abducted! Alcaston Gallery, VIC
- 2017 What if this photograph is by Albert Namatjira? AGSA, SA
- 2018 The Endurance Of Bush Medicine, Medical History Museum, University of Melbourne, VIC
- National Museum of Australia (NMA), Canberra
- National Gallery Victoria (NGV), Melbourne
- Art Gallery of South Australia (AGSA), Adelaide
- 2018 Medical History Museum, University of Melbourne, VIC