Marie is the daughter of Arthur and Katie (nee Uburtja) Abbott. She grew up in Hermannsburg. Her brother the late Clem Abbott was a highly respected water colourist from the Hermannsburg School.
In her earlier work Marie used watercolours to paint the landscape until her brother suggested that she should paint in her own style. From this Marie developed a naturalistic style of landscapes using acrylic paint on canvas eventually combining dot painting into the landscape very successfully. During the period 1993 to 1996 Marie focussed on painting birds of the region in her landscapes.
Since 1996 the subject of her work has been illustrating bush foods and women gathering using symbolic designs and dot painting although she has also begun to paint the landscapes once again.
Marie painted a large mural at the Aboriginal Birthing Centre in Alice Springs. She is a registered Aboriginal Health worker and studied Aboriginal Health at Batchelor College.
- 2004 Advocate Central Australian Art Award
- 2005 Desert Mob Exhibition, Araluen Art Centre, Alice Springs, NT
- 2009 Desert Mob Exhibition, Araluen Art Centre, Alice Springs, NT
- 2009 Real to Surreal, Scenes from the Centre: Journey with the New Generation of Hermannsburg Watercolour Artists, Tandanya, Adelaide, SA
- 2009 Beyond Batterby, Recent Watercolour by Central Australian Artists, Hobart, TAS
- 2009 The Watercolourists of Central Australia, Indigenart, Melbourne, VIC
- 2012 The Lockup, Newcastle, NSW
- 2012 Regional Art Gallery, Burnie, TAS
- 2012 Art Mob, Launceston, TAS
- 2012 Art Mob, Hobart, TAS
- 2012 Frankston Arts Centre, Frankston, VIC
- 2012 Adelaide Festival Centre, Adelaide, SA
- 2012 Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, Townsville, QLD
- 2014 Women Artists of the Hermannsburg School of Art, The Residency, Alice Springs, NT
- 2015 Hermannsburg Horizons, Wooloongabba Art Gallery, Brisbane, QLD
- 2016 Birds + Us, Finalist at the 20 year anniversary exhibition, Melbourne VIC